Monday, January 25, 2010

you and I are on the outside of almost everything

Here's a quote I found in Bill Moyer's On Democracy, lent to me by a fellow PCV.
I've made it the official goal of my service in a esoteric theoretical way.
Things are going good. Big surprise it's cold. I'm cold, my apartments cold, I deal by wearing clothes, lots of clothes, like maybe about as many clothes as I wear in a week in the states in one sitting. It's normal no worries. Spring is coming and so is heat where I'll probably write about how many clothes I'm not wearing because it's so hot.

Michael Ventura from Letters at 3 a.m.

"The dream we must now seek to realize, the new human project, is not 'security,' which is impossible to acheive on the planet earth in the latter half of teh 20th century. It is not 'happiness,' by which we generally mean nothing but giddy forgetfulness about the danger of all our lives together. It is not 'self-realization,' by which people usually mean a separate peace. There is no separate peace. . . The real project is to realize that technology has married us all to each other, has made us one people on one planet, and that until we are more courageous about this new marriage - ourselves all intertwined - there will be no peace and the destination of any of us will be unknown. How far can we go together . . . men and women, black, brown, yellow, white, young and old? We will go as far as we can because we must go wherever it is we can go together. There is no such thing as going alone. Given the dreams and doings of our psyches, given the nature of our world, there is no such thing as being alone. If you are the only one in the room it is still a crowded room. But we are all together of this planet, you, me, us: inner, outer, together, and we're called to affirm our marriage vows. Our project, the new human task, is to learn how to consummate, how to sustain, how to enjoy the most human marriage - all parts - all of us."

No comments:

Post a Comment