Tuesday, January 19, 2010

closing my eyes I hear the sea

After indulging myself at only one page of Perez Hilton I found out Kate McGarrigle died. more reasons for my parents to have folk as their theme next year at the waffle extravaganza.

So here we are, exactly 31 days into my time at site. How has it gone? Well enough, but I'm hoping it will go better. Not that it's bad because of anything here. I just want to do more, to be better, etc. The many lamentations of a person too self-critical to ever see any success (or in desperate want of flattery). Either way, no flattery needed, I'm working towards better things.

Let's see. Nothing seems more illusive to me over these past months than summer. Since finding out I was coming here to Ukraine, every one has said over and over here that summers are a magical time filled with an open spirit of welcome, fun, revelry and an abundance of fresh fruits and vegetables better than anything you can imagine. As the days are cold and generally short (though I notice a marked difference in teh amount of sunlight that is out per day), I find myself dreaming about the mythical wonder that could or will be summer. I think about bazaars and days spent in the parks walking wherever I want to go and not slipping on ice or freezing my nose hairs. Most days I feel like summer is a fairy tale they tell us to get us through the winter that it really can't be this good. but everyone seems in agreement. And for what americans have in yearning for summer ukrainians can trump them in spades or any other suit. It's as if the whole of ukrainian spirit is directly in line with the season. In winter covered and bundled so no one can see you and summer, well i don't know. but it souns pretty great. So there it is an entry aout nothing I know but the promise of something.

In other news, I'm headed to the a play all in ukrainian this sat (wish me luck) by Gogol annnnd I'm headed to the philharmonic on the 28th for a dual playing of four seasons one vivaldi and one (a ukrainian I think composer of accordian fame)

No comments:

Post a Comment