Saturday, January 23, 2010

to get to the morning first you have to get through the night

Let's tell a story about how when I came to Ukraine people said I would have a host mom during training and a host mom (maybe) when I got to site. Now let's tell the reality about my many Ukrainian mothers and the different role each one takes.

First and foremost there's momma Nina. My host mom in Nosivka. Momma Nina helped me adjust to Ukraine, cooked me tasty Ukrainian food, helped me learn to can things and make compot, and made me less afraid of really scary root cellars when she made me go down there during the power outage to get pickles and juice for my guy friends that were over. Now, Momma Nina fills the roll of far away mother who tells you you need to visit all the time, asks you what you're eating, and then tells you good job for managing to cook chicken. I Love Momma Nina and even though it seems every time she calls I'm in some awkward situation where picking up the phone is not an option she calls back two or three times in succession to give me a chance. Every time she calls it brightens my day and I miss Nosivka a little, but I miss Momma Nina more. Plus she's a hoot! No one makes me laugh more than Momma Nina when she's making fun of Bucks the cat.

Secondly, we have my director here at my new school, who when I see her wants me to eat whatever it is she has with her this day and spends time with me while I eat it and makes English conversation with me. I don't see her that often, to tell you the truth, but when I do it feels like someone's on my team, like someone cares about how I'm doing and that makes being abroad a little less scary.

Thirdly, if I can clump I will try we have the two vice-principals at my school. Who always say hello always ask if I'm cold in my apartment if I need anything if the classes are going well if I'm getting enough sleep. They are peaches and again always ready to back them up. Recently, when I was having problems with one of my classes one of them came down and fought for me and told the kids what was what. While I realize that I cant depend on her for discipline again feeling like someone is in your corner is beyond enough for teh day to day struggles that come up.

Fourthly, there is teh woman in charge of housekeeping and the cooks in teh kitchen. They continuously ask me why I am not eating the hot lunch they provide at school. The real reason I don't go every day is not becaues it's not tasty but because every time I try to pay they won't let me and they tell me the director said I shouldn't pay. But I feel bad because peace corps gives me money to afford my own food and so I don't want to take advantage of their unending generosity. THey've gotten me up to eating in there at least once a week if not twice after some strong talkings to from teh head of housekeeping, who when last nite I told her I had sandwiches in my room, she said that's not a hot meal and doesn't count. She's also the peach who wanted to take my bedding and wash it for me. I told her I wash my clothes on my own in my shower so she brought me a bucket and a stool to put it on so I didn't have to bend down to wash. Again, totally wonderful and nice. They also ask me if I'm cold all the time, do we sense a reoccurring theme?

Fifth and Finally, we have another English teacher. Who brings me jams and is going to bring me wine and she always wants to talk to me and is convinced that I will find, in her words, "the other half of the apple" and will marry a Ukrainian man (who are in her words splendid) and that she will thusly be invited to the wedding. Sometimes I think she just likes to see me laugh awkwardly when she brings it up. I tell her I'm too young to be a bride, she seems to think otherwise. But she always makes me smile and feel welcome.

So, there they are, my Ukrainian moms, the ladies who day to day ask me if I'm cold, hungry or looking for a husband. I will say, I love the kids here, although yesterday was a hard day. I do love the students and their enthusiasm to see something new, but these ladies make my stay all the nicer all the warmer and all the easier to transition.

Tonite, in a fit of daring, of teh not at all kind of way, I'm going to the theatre with two other teachers at school who have lovingly adopted me and I hope will be good friends. We are going to see Gogol's the marriage, in ukrainian, I probably will understand perhaps 3 minutes of the hour and a half show, but hey, I'm up for anything and am telling myself not to say no to any invitation.

Miss you all. love and hugs

No comments:

Post a Comment